Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Range Day

I spent the day on the Sheriff's range for the POST requalification.

First, the duty pistol. The 1911 ran like a dream and I qualified easily with it. No, I didn't bring any targets home. Keeping targets from a qualification smacks of being a rookie or an amateur. I'm neither, and while I post targets here for the audience edification, I don't bring targets back from qualification. Best possible score is 120, with 96 needed to qualify. Your pundit scored 115.

Next, the shotgun. The Remington 870 ran like a dream. The course of fire is two rounds of slugs and ten buckshot. We use 00 buck, nine to a shell, for a total possible of 92 points. When the Captain score my target, he got a 93, then looked again at the target and disqualified one of the holes. It seems I shot a wad through the target.

Next came the backup and the Model 60 did the job it is supposed to do. I noticed that I was getting some lead shaving. It's been 20 years since that revolver has had any professional gunsmithing. It's probably time to send it to Clark's and get it timed. Revolvers, especially old revolvers can use a tune-up from time to time and this one is long overdue. For a five-shot revolver, best score is 100, with 80 needed to qualify. I scored an 82. Not the best score, but good enough. I think timing will really help this revolver.

Then we shot the rifle course. I was shooting the Remington 760 and it became a nightmare. I was plagued by equipment problems, most prominently magazine problems. The guys on the line thought it was a hoot watching me try to shoot the rifle. I pulled one 10-round magazine out and bumped it and all ten rounds shot upward into the air. I had magazines fail to seat, magazines fail to feed and magazines try to double feed. The guys on the bench were hooting and laughing and thought the scene was hilarious. Even I was laughing before it was over. The rounds that chambered and fired did good, all landing in the scoring ring. Best possible score on this event is 80 points with 64 to qualify. I scored 40 points on this exercise.

Tomorrow, scenario shooting.

2 comments:

Rivrdog said...

I briefly owned a Remington 760 in .308, a bequest from an uncle. It shot fine with it's little four-round magazines, but when I got an Eagle plastic maggy, I had a hell of a time. first, it required precision fitting to get the magazine into the well, then a hell of a trip getting it out when it was empty. It fed OK, but using it to fire ten rounds tool longer than using 3 of the four-rounders.

I sold the 760, not the least because it kicked like a mule with it's straight stock.

A much better choice for you would be the Ruger Mini-30.

Matt G said...

Sorry to hear of your equipment failure with the rifle, but am glad that you found it at the range. As we all know, your chances of having to do a rifle magazine change in a gunfight are damned slim. Generally, once a trained man brings a rifle to the gunfight in law enforcement, the fight ends pretty damned quickly. That's why I qualified with a bolt-action '06.