Saturday, December 17, 2005

Stevens Model 62

My only .22 rifle is a Stevens Model 62. Originally marketed in Canada, I am unable to find much information about the little rifle. It is a full-sized .22, magazine fed, semi-automatic blowback action .22 rifle. It looks a lot (almost exactly) like the Savage Model 64F pictured below.



I picked this little rifle up at a pawn shop for about $100.00. Not a great deal, but it had a scope and it had mounting rings, so I figure I paid about $75.00 for the rifle, which makes it a good buy. I've had it since the early summer, and played around with it some, but never really got serious with shooting it.

The little rifle showed a liking for Remington subsonic ammo and I have four or five boxes of that ammo on my shelf. During National Ammo day, I picked up a bulk pack of Winchester XPert .22LR Hollowpoint. Standard velocity stuff, loose packed in a box.

This morning after shooting some centerfire, I picked up the little Stevens and put a couple of rounds through it. Then I posted a new target and did this with the bulk Winchester .22 ammo.



That is fifteen rounds, folks. At 25 yards, with the cheap Tasco scope whut came with the rifle. It is certainly capable accuracy for a squirrel rifle.

If you are fond of centerfire and are having a bad day at the range, pick up your .22 and put a few through it. More times than not, a good .22 has turned a bad day at the range into a good day. I feel a lot better after shooting those targets.

I've got some more experimenting to do with my .30-30 reloads. Oh, I can keep them on an SR-1 target all day, but I'm looking for that magical sweet spot, and I haven't found it yet. Just as I was getting discouraged, the little Stevens rifle saved the day for me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

your rifle happens to be a savage make :)

exactly like the model 64f of the savage rifles, you got a good deal on it ;) as it retails for 115$ in stores :)

Anonymous said...

i have the same thing on it it says that its made by savage arms

Anonymous said...

I've had mine for 6 years. I got it from a friend a friend of mine that I traded for my old Ruger 10/22. It is very very accurate. My Stevens 62 has killed deer, Javelinas, coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, rabbid dogs, Wild Hogs, you name it. Mine likes Winchester SuperX ammo and Remington ammo (the $1 stuff). I will not trade it for anything. It accompanies me on all my hunting trips. I'm trying to find a replacement stock for it since it is beat up from all the use I put it through.
smith2000jj@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

New at wal-mart 99.00\Blacknylon stock.Great arm.Cant find clip Larger than 10.

Anonymous said...

I have also been looking for a larger clip for the Savage 64f. My finger tips are still numb from feeding that dang 10 rd clip. Sure can knock the orange out of a target in no time @ 25 or 50 yards. Gonna try 100 yards the next time out! Great Gun.........

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the "numb fingers" from reloading the magazine. I noticed in the online manuals a technique of loading the bullet from the front of the magazine, thereby alleviating any contact with the sharp edges, I haven't tried it yet, but maybe the manual has a purpose after all-duh!

Anonymous said...

im only 15 years old but i too am tired of all day work of loading that darn magazine time and time agin. and i cant find a place to buy a new one does any one know where i can find one at?

Anonymous said...

aug.1,2009 for the kid that has the all day work of reloading the magazine you can find them at wallmart but not at all of the wallmarts so gog to diffrent wallmarts to hopefully find them your welcome by:todd walker

Anonymous said...

no you cant get them at wall*mart because i work there and they hve recalled them because the broke easily because wall*marts products are cheaply made so kid go somewhere els and buy your magazine by: I HATE MY JOB

strickford@aol.com said...

mine was bought at walmart in 2001 and is made by stevens imported by savage. i had three 10 round clips the action of the gun hits the back of the clips causing a jam and ruined them. i dont kno if i should buy new clips or a new gun

Anonymous said...

you can find magazines for the model 62 at a place called bobs gun parts.com online

Anonymous said...

Is this rifle a hornet 22

Anonymous said...

If they Stevens 2262 a hornet rifle