Friday, June 02, 2023

As You Like It

 It's starting to feel like summer here in Louisiana.  It's been dry for about the past 10 days with no rain in the forecast.  Currently , it's a balmy 90F outside with a wind chill of 102.  Humidity is at 43%, which ain't bad for right now.  It's not hot yet in Louisiana, but it is definitely on preheat mode.

I grew up drinking Coca-Cola, when I could get it.  Nowadays I still drink Coke.  Whether out of a bottle or can matters not.  If I'm burning down the road, I'll drink it straight from the can, but if I am at home, where I can savor, my preference is to take it in a glass over ice.  If it's late afternoon and the driving is done for the day, if someone splashes a little bourbon in the bottom of the glass, that's okay too.

We were talking the other day, and when we were growing up, the very idea of bottled water was alien to us.  There was a gas station near where I grew up, and they kept a water hose on the side of the building.  The owner would let us kids drink from the hose, and I've drank gallons from a water hose.  If the hose has been laying under the sun, it's best to let it run for a bit, until the water cools off.  When you've been biking hard all day, it sure was nice to swing by the gas station, get a big swig of water and let the hose run over your head for a minute to cool off.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Oh yes, HOT water out of the hose...you learn THAT lesson real quick in the summer. I still like Cokes out of the bottle, and no, I never had bottled water until I was overseas.

Anonymous said...

Kids these days just don't understand... gone from when Mom kicked you out in the morning, until sundown. You could get a balogna/PBJ sandwich for lunch from anybodys house.... sometimes it was yours. Today you'd get arrested if you did your kids like that.

FeralFerret said...

A garden hose is better than a stock tank!

Growing up in the country, I learned to bring a canteen if I was going to be away from the house and out in the boonies in hot weather.

Anonymous said...

spent 18 months at polk in the 80's...miserable heat and humidity...

BobF said...

Liquid, hot, overseas. Good Lord, made me think of Vietnam. Cases of beer stacked on pallets out in the sun.

Anonymous said...

No nearby stores near our neighborhood but our home hose bibbs did the job. Piping in attic required a bit of cooling time as noted.

The water from the hose was fine. We filled the six gallon tank from the hose when we went to the ranch. Filled a 2 liter water bottle from that and placed in the frig.

The ranch windmill pumped water was too saline to drink, though fine for the cows. A bit of funny taste from bottle but from the frig, cold water tasted great.