Friday, June 22, 2012

Target Hanger v 2.0

Between laughing at our politicians and crying for our republic today, I've been working on my target hanger, assembling all the bits and pieces, so that it can be useful in the run-up to the deer season.  As in all things, experience is golden, so I've been doing some testing, swinging the targets.

I can see right now that I'm going to have to paint those targets.  I'd bet that a can of white spray-paint would do a lot to help them stand out from the background.  Those dull-grey steel targets are hard to see against a dull background.

Here's a better shot, from behind the target frame, showing how the steel plates are attached to the webbing.  The holes in the targets are cut for 3/8 bolts.  At the hardware store, I got 1 1/2 inch long bolts, but could probably have used 1 inch bolts.

Initially, swinging the targets would cause them to flip off the upper hooks.  I think I've solved that problem by the simple expedient of using wire-ties to hold the strapping on the hook.  I had considered closing the hooks, but I want to be able to easily take the targets off the frame for portability.  Wire ties seemed a good compromise.

If anyone has a better idea, let me know in comments.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

The only issue I see Paw is they appear to hang straight down, you might get some ricochets. Most targets these days hang at about a 20 degree angle to prevent that.

Anonymous said...

Not sure what they are called, but they are actually "chain links" that have a section that has a sleeve that screws together on one side of the link.

Papa Guy

Anonymous said...

I have one of those little spinner targets for the .22, and I always take a can of cheap white or yellow spray paint to make the target disks stand out.