Sunday, June 17, 2012

On Obama's Immigration Initiative

I like this guy.  Bob Krumm writes that we conservatives should applaud the President's decision to not enforce the law and to embrace the precedent it revives.  He also writes that thinking men should periodically review every law and regulation on the books to see if such law or regulation make sense in the present world. 
So while I believe in “law and order,” I am always cognizant of the fact that law is not an established fact but a transitory event. Free men should always question whether or not a law still makes sense. And if one determines that it does not, it is his duty to violate it.
I believe that too, but I've never been able to write it like that. Good ideas in this blog post, from a serving soldier. Go read.

 In the meantime, I might be evolving on the issue. Imagine if President Romney claimed the Obama doctrine and announced that he was not going to enforce a bunch of regulations because they no longer made sense, and that he did not intend to appoint folks to agencies that had outlived their usefulness. I could get to like a guy like that.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Hmm... Interesting possible approach... Gotta think about that one!

Bob S. said...

Pawpaw,

I agree that laws should be evaluated and tossed if not valid.

But there is a major difference in the case of the immigration law - we can see that is still valid.

Now, I would fully support a streamlined, quickened, legal immigration process but giving amnesty to those already here is not the way to do it.

And it certainly wouldn't work for us gun owners if we decided that the NFA or Concealed Carry laws were outdated and we weren't going to abide by them.