Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Reloder 22

Reloder 22 is a magnum rifle powder, sold by the Alliant Corporation. Listed at 126 on the Hodgdon Burn Rate Chart, it's slower than both IMR and Hodgdon 4831. Alliant recommends it for 270 Winchester, 7mm Magnum and .300 Magnum cartridges.

I came to use it in the .243 Winchester with heavy bullets and found that it gave excellent accuracy and velocity. The family uses it in .270 Winchester and in .25-06. It shines in both of those cartridges. I don't push the powder hard in the .25-06. We've found a middling charge that sends a 117 grain Sierra Gameking to something over 2900 fps with great accuracy.

I've tried it in the .30-06 and the powder gave yeoman service. I don't think a person could put enough RL22 in a .30-06 case to hurt the rifle, most of the charges listed for that caliber are compressed charges and I don't like stuffing brass that full. It's easier to use a powder with a faster burn rate to get the velocity the caliber deserves.

Still, in overbore cartridges, Reloder 22 shines. I've just finished prepping some .25-06 brass and tomorrow morning I'll get down the powder scale and load the ammo. With the Sierra Gameking bullet we'll be well set for whitetail deer in the fall.

No comments: