Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rain

We got the first rain in several weeks, a couple of little showers, probably less than a quarter inch, but it's a dramatic improvement on what we've had lately.

So, with rain about, I stayed in the garage and cast bullets. A family member had asked for some .38 special loads and I took the opportunity to cast some bullets. My favorite .38 special load is the Lee TL358-158SWC over 4.3 grains of Unique. This load leaves the barrel of my Model 66 at 780 fps and is accurate in every revolver we've tried it in. That same load gives us 980 fps out of my Marlin 1894 and is a lot of fun to shoot. It's a great plinking load in either the revolver or the carbine and the family has shot a lot of them over the years. The only trouble is keeping it in stock. If I ever decide to buy a progressive press, this load will be the one that the press is set up for.

Huh! It's raining again. These little piddling showers are a godsend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make almost the same load with locally cast 158 grain LSWCs.
A lot of it is shot in my various .357s, my .38 Special Bodyguards, and some through my snubnose M15.
It is accurate in all of them and fun to shoot, partculary in the M15.

Anonymous said...

If you ever decide to take the leap buy DILLON. To save some buck you can also find them on ebay. Good luck.