Thursday, June 17, 2010

Practical Accuracy

Much is made these days of the ability of a particular rifle to shoot groups into one inch at 100 yards, commonly called MOA (or Minute of Angle). Technically and mathematically, that's not precise, but it's close enough for most shooters. In the last ten years we've seen multiple manufacturers try to modify their manufacturing methods to wring this level of accuracy out of their firearms.

I think it was Townsend Whelen who famously said that "only accurate rifles are interesting", and many of us strive for that elusive one-hole group as a vindication of our handloading methods and the quality of our rifles. I myself am guilty of that. I have two rifles that will turn in groups under one inch regularly with a variety of my handloaded ammunition.

However, the standard rifle for many of us is a deer rifle and the vast majority of deer in this country are taken at less than 200 yards. Indeed, if we kept good records I'd suspect that the bulk of whitetail deer are shot at ranges under 100 yards. So, the question becomes, do we need a rifle that will take the wings off a horsefly at 300 yards? The whitetail deer's heart-lung area gives us a target of about nine inches at whatever yardage we choose to shoot him. Certainly we don't need a minute-of-angle rifle to do that job.

Most of us can't hold that closely without much training and practice, especially in the field where we find our targets. Shooting off the bench is one thing, and it's a good thing to align your scope and test your loads. However, once the loads are tested and the sights are aligned, many of us would profit from moving away from the bench and shooting at indeterminate ranges using field expedient positions. Offhand, kneeling and prone are probably three of the most used field positions. If you're a stand hunter like I am, I'd propose shooting from the stand position. That's normally seated, using whatever expedient rest is available from your particular set-up.

I have one rifle that doesn't give me minute-of-angle, but I'm finding that I can place a bullet within two inches of my aiming point at virtually any time I choose to shoot that rifle. That's not dependent on weather, or position, or whether the stars are aligned. I can hit a 9" plate with that rifle at 200 yards virtually whenever I choose to do so. I'm now confident in the rifle and the load and I can work on my personal technique, striving to become a better marksman. Interestingly, this rifle is probably the least expensive of my battery, a single-shot Handi rifle chambered in .308 Winchester. I gave under $200.00 for it out of a pawn shop rack.

It's the heat of the summer and many of us are already thinking about the upcoming hunting season. Before too many more weeks, the loads should be ready and the sights aligned. It's time to quit worrying about the minutia and begin working on practical accuracy. Get away from the bench and see how we can shoot. It'll make us better hunters and our marksmanship will surely improve between now and November.

Just as Townsend Whelen said that only accurate rifles are interesting, Jeff Cooper said that "only hits count". Let's try to work on hitting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Col. Cooper said that hunters don't require high precision of their rifles, but that it's nevertheless reassuring to know that the rifle is capable of high precision.

I feel like that. I have found a factory .308 load (Winchester 180-grain Silvertips or Powerpoints) that will repeatably put three shots into about an inch at 100m, starting from a cold barrel. I find it reassuring to know that the rifle and ammunition will do their bit, if I do mine.

This reminds me, the next hunt is in August. I must go soon and check the zero on that rifle.

Happy days!

Denis