Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Galena

This morning dawned hot and humid in Central Louisiana, and I decided that as long as the weather was going to be miserable, I might as well do a miserable job. So, I got out the burner and started smelting lead. A month or so ago, I found a half-bucket of wheelweights I had forgotten I had, and I still had some lead left over from my last scrounging trip that needed to be processed into ingots.

So, I got out my burner and my implements and set up in the driveway after Milady left for work.



The above picture shows what I call wheelweight stew. At some point after you dump the wheelweights in the smelting pot, the metal becomes almost plastic, just before it melts. In these days of zinc wheelweights, it behooves us to keep the heat low and skim the metal frequently to remove the zinc wheelweights before the melt into the mix. Zinc is bad when we're making bullets and we don't want it in our metal.

I use three ingot molds when I'm smelting lead, dependent on the alloy that I might be melting. Square ingots are pure lead. Corn-stick ingots are wheelweight metal and smooth sticks are linotype. Here you see a pile of square ingots and corn-stick ingots. I didn't process any linotype metal today.



It's noon now and the fire is out. I'm out of metal and I hear a thunderstorm to the west. I think I'll go cool off too and put all this up in an hour or so.

4 comments:

Rivrdog said...

PawPaw, I've missed something: why can't you just avoid putting the zinc wheelweights in the pot in the first place? Is it too hard to tell the zinc from the lead ones?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that up to 10% zinc was OK. Or was that antimony?

Anonymous said...

Patty asks "Is that a cornbread mold in the second photo?"

Zdogk9 said...

The zinc ones look like the lead ones and it's easier to skim them off the top of molten lead. Picking through a bucket and checking every wheel weight sucks.
PawPa, thanks for reminding me that I've got a couple milk crates of scrap flashing and a half bucket of WW that need to be dealt with.

Pawpaw said...

Rivrdog. Zinc wheelweights are virtually impossible to tell from lead ones, visually. We've got lead crimp-on, lead stick-on and lead clip-on. Zinc wheelweights are made in the same variety.

However, lead melts at 621F and zinc melts at 787F. If you keep your temps low, it's easy to skim the zinc wheelweights from the molten lead.

I don't like any zinc in my mix if I can help it. Antimony, on the other hand, is great for bullet alloy. Antimony helps hardness and tin helps flow to fill out the mold. Casters argue all the time about the proper ratios.