Sunday, April 02, 2006

Casting bullets

This afternoon about 6:00 p.m., I decided that since the press is broken, I should cast a few bullets so they'll be ready when the press is fixed.

I surfed the online Lee Precision site and learned that I can order repair parts directly from them, so I ordered the parts my Challenger press needs.

Then, I went out into the garage and cranked up the lead pot. About an hour later I have 123 of the Lee TL358-158, a flat nose semi-wadcutter that I use for .38 and .357 magnum shooting. I also have 144 of the Lee TL452-230-2R that I use for .45 ACP. These bullets are destined to be loaded as soon as the press is repaired. I'll do some more casting during the afternoons this week and try to get a goodly supply of bullets ready. They don't spoil.



Those bullets have been visually sorted and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. That is the best way I have found to lubricate cast bullets. Even if I use a standard beeswax/alox mixture, I am apt to tumble lube them first with the liquid Alox, then apply the traditional lube. That stuff works.

Junior believes that the thing to do is to repair the Challenger and order a Classic Cast. I concur. Next payday, I'll order the Classic Cast press.

No comments: