Friday, October 20, 2023

Learning Stuff

I've been playing in the kitchen.  Belle brought home a small package of fully cooked, sliced brisket that she found at Wal Mart.  It's kind of expensive, and not up to my standards for sliced brisket, but if you put it in a pan and heat it with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, it makes a really good sandwich.  We eat it on French bread, pressed in a sandwich press.  Although it seems expensive, there is no waste and feeds us lunch for two days. Anytime you can buy four nice sandwiches for $15, that ain't bad. From prep to plate, it's about fifteen minutes.

I was watching YouTube yesterday and saw a fellow making pancakes.  He claims that 1 cup of Bisquick and a half cup of Sprite make pancake batter.  I had to try it.  It makes a passable pancake.  Not as good as some I've had, but passable. You can make the batter in the time it takes to heat up the skillet, and the pancake ain't bad.

Which reminds me.  After pancakes this morning, I'm out of Steen's syrup.  Next time I go to the store, I'll have to remedy that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do the same except add sliced
Sweet peppers and onion to the Sweet Baby Rays.

Owen Family at Far Better Farmstead said...

We found it last week and tried it too. I was impressed that the fat didn't taste weird like a lot of pre-cooked meats. I thought about getting my smoker going and heating it up in the smoke to add a little more flavor. Ditto on Sweet Baby Ray's.

Anonymous said...

At 64 years old, I’ve enjoyed Steens Syrup since a kid. In the yellow can. Mixed with peanut butter makes a great sandwich.