Friday, April 10, 2020

Open America

Five weeks ago, I lived in a free America.

Five weeks.  Since then, by government edict, businesses have closed, travel restrictions have been imposed, our ability to congrats has been limited, government has expanded dramatically, freedom has contracted, and it's all because if we don't do this people might die.

Yeah, yeah, I can hear you now.  It's a national emergency.  If we don't do these things, we're all subject t to being wiped out by a pandemic, a horrible disease that will kill us all. - - Okay, I get it.  For the most part, Americans have acquiesced, and mostly in a voluntary manner. 

I remember my Dad telling me abut the restrictions imposed during WWII.  Rationing of goods, travel restrictions, not because of disease, but because all the assets of America were needed for the war effort.  You simply could not buy  a train ticket, or a plane ticket, or tires for the family car because it was all needed for the war effort.

Today, I have good tires on the family car, but I can't drive to Texas, of Arkansas because of travel restrictions related to the spread of a disease.  I get it.  I understand it, but I"m not okay with it.  I chafe at any lack of freedom.

"But, but:.... some folks say, "People will die."  Well, let me tell you a little secret.  Death is the one constant of the human condition.  We're all going to die.  In the meantime, I'd like to live.  And, in large part, what I'm doing right now is not living.  It's simply not dying.  And, I hope you are smart enough to know the difference.

The government can, I understand, impose these restrictions for a clear purpose, for a limited time and for a limited scope.  Yet, what we are starting to see is the rise of the petty tyrant.  Folks are being arrested for doing things that, five weeks ago, were perfectly acceptable.    We must, as a nation, demand that those petty tyrants be disciplined, whether they are at the state or local level. 

Attorney General Barr says that we must be vigilant to preserve civil liberties.  I tend to agree with him.  I for myself, am pretty much reconciled to waiting until April 30th to see how this disaster plays out. My patience won't extend very far into May.

4 comments:

dturtleman said...

In the Cold War, many people in Cuba and East Germany were willing to snitch on their neighbors, and proud New Jerseyans are ready to continue that fine tradition.

DaveS said...

Perhaps a horrifying thought (plenty of time for my mind to wander). What would you do if the "government" decided to re-open things, but ONLY make goods and services available to those who had been vaccinated AND tattooed with a special ink so that they could be identified as "safe citizens"?

Hopefully this is a completely rhetorical question that none of us ever have to answer. Sorry to bring this one up, but your post, and the events of the past week or so, got the old rusty wheels turning in the brainpan.

Steve said...

If you don't mind; I'm going to steal this and put it on my facebook page

Steve

robert orians said...

Our esteemed gubernor Furher Mike Dewine and his anointed by Obama sidekick Dr Amy Acton the abortion Queen were sore displeased Thursday when their Covid Update was interrupted by screaming patriots with nasty signs during the process . It was beautiful to behold .