Thursday, December 26, 2019

The Day After

The day after Christmas, and Belle had to go to work.  I was left to deal with the aftermath of Christmas, and I decided to do something with that leftover tuducken.  For those unfamiliar, a tuducken is a boneless hen, stuffed into a boneless duck, stuffed into a boneless turkey.  It's a quite amazing feast, and even though it is easy to carve, (basically, you slice it like a loaf of bread)), we did have some left-overs.  So, I dug around in the fridge, found some good smoked sausage, some onion and bell pepper, and decided to make a gumbo.

After the veggies are sautee'd and the roux is made, and the gumbo is assembled, best practice is to let it simmer for a bit while you make a pot of rice.

Turducken and Sausage gumbo.
While the rice was cooking, and the gumbo was simmering, I decided to put away some gifts that were on the table.  One in particular caught my eye, a bottle of Scotch given to me by my second son.  It was one I had never tied, but that I had heard good things about.  A Spey-side single malt.  So, I cracked the seal and poured myself a wee dram.

Pouring it into the glass I was struck by how lightly it is colored.  Glenlivet uses used bourbon casks for aging, and their climate must be very mild.  A 12-year-old bourbon might be as dark as coffee, but this Scotch is very light.  The taste immediately reminded me of fresh apricots and a nice, sweetness.  At 40% ABV, it was delicate, light, and approachable.  Very nice whiskey indeed. I'll have to keep a bottle of this nearby for when the Scotch drinkers come around.

Christmas was very tood to me indeed.  I have a couple of more bottles to open, but we'll talk about those in the correct time.

1 comment:

Flugelman said...

Good stuff. The Glenlivet 12 is my go to single malt. Add a splash of Drambuie for some nice sippin' stuff. Hope your Christmas was as good as mine and Happy New Year.