Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Old School

When I began my cop career in 1981,  the reigning king of police handguns was the Smith and Wesson Model 66.  A stainless steel revolver in .357 magnum, it was beloved of law enforcement offices who worked in hot, humid environs.  It worked, it was accurate, powerful and reliable.  In fact, in those days, very few police departments issued guns.  The officers bought their own, and my first agency policy required " a Colt, Smith and Wesson, or Ruger revolver in .38 Special or .357 magnum."

I, like many of my brethren, acquired a Model 66 and never looked back.  I learned to shoot it and to trust it, and all of my kids learned to shoot handguns on that revolve.  I carried it until 2003 because I was never smitten by the 9mm plastic-fantastic craze and the department wouldn't let me carry a 1911.

Model 66, pinned and recessed.


But, eventually, my department started issuing guns, and in 2004 the Model 66 was retied for whatever the department issued.  The old K-frame was retired and did duty as a training revolver.  It remained largely forgotten, unless I needed it it to make a teaching point.

Last night, dressing for church, I decided to put it on  I always carry at church, but the weather was cool and I wanted a jacket, so I threaded a pancake holster on to my belt loops, stoked the revolver with good  ammo, and dropped it into the holster.  The pancake tucked it in tight, and the sport coat concealed it completely.  By the time I had walked down the hall, I had almost forgotten it was there.  Like slipping on a comfortable pair of boots, it just seemed to fit perfectly.

Later, at church, one lady was talking about the horrific event in Texas on Sunday.  She commented that she hoped that someone in  our congregation was armed.  I simply lifted the lapel of my jacket, exposing the revolver, and winked at her.  Her eyes went wide and she smiled.

I guess it's time to put the old girl back in the rotation.   Sometime soon, I'll order a set of Crimson Traces for her.

7 comments:

Sabre22 said...

I bought two of them from the rod and gun clubs in Germany from 1978-1981 Due to financial issues I had sell both of them. I am going to get two replacements in the near future. I have my eye on a Colt Commander in Satin Nickel another replacement for one I had to sell.

Termite said...

You might mention to her that men AND women can "stand in the gap". Men would be targeted first by a church "shooter", thereby giving the armed women a better chance at putting the goblin down.

The same goes for a male parishioner in a wheelchair: generally viewed as low threat by a potential goblin, which would be a plus.

I already know one wheelchair bound deacon who carries to church service...

Old NFO said...

I missed an opportunity on a 3" 66 a couple of years ago. Still regretting that.

Anonymous said...

I never have owned a 19 (blued) or 66 S&W revolver. I was a dedicated Ruger Security-Six user, pretty close to the same platform. The new L-frames in my opinion are just a bit too much weight to be carried all day (but durable - yes).

I think you are correct - a faithful companion carried over many years becomes instinctual. I hope you never need to use it 'for real' but if it does, I'm sure it will do.

Crypto Exchange And Wallet Support said...

If you are users of Bitstamp and you are facing an issue in signing into your Bitstamp account due to lost password then you need to dial a toll-free Bitstamp customer support number and get help from expert technicians to fix the issue. You can also take help from the online forums and portals to resolve the issue by yourself. But in case you are not able to resolve the issue, then you for instant and easy solution you can dial the Bitstamp customer support number and get connected to certified technicians. Feel free to call on this toll-free number and get solutions according to your needs.

Crypto Exchange And Wallet Support said...

https://coinsblurb.com/hitbtc-support-number/

Rampravesh Singh said...

https://coinsblurb.com/how-can-i-contact-mycelium-support/