Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Questions in Comments

Dave asks, in comments:
How does it compare to the big grill/griddle in an Army chow hall?
Honestly, I had those griddles in mind when I bought this one.  I don't recall the actual dimensions of those griddles, but I think this one compares favorably.  I bought the 36" Blackstone, which has 720 square inches of cooking surface.   I'm still learning to use it.  Those four burners throw a lot of heat and this thing gets hot really quickly.  Generally, if I fire it up, and set all the burners on LOW, then in about 10 minutes I'm ready to cook whatever I want to cook.
I remember a cook at our Bde DFAC when I was an LT, he could effectively cook as many omelettes and fried eggs as he could fit on the cooking surface. And he was just a PFC.
Yeah, me too.  Not the same PFC, but one like him.    What I call the Standard Army Breakfast was a wondrous thing to behold, and probably some of my fondest memories.  Eggs-to-order, hasbrowns, SOS, pancakes, bacon, sausage, ham, french toast, fresh fruit,  the list was endless, and a soldier could have any or all of it.

That memory was one of the main reasons I bought the griddle.  Now, I just have to learn how to use it.

4 comments:

Old Grafton said...

As I mentioned about when you got yours I had bought a Blackstone about the same time too but only 1/2 as wide,(the 17") and I have just about abandoned the two other grills in favor of the griddle. Flavors are the best ever, no oil smoke on the food from burning fat, crispy seared surfaces on the meat and tender juicy insides! Fast, way easier to clean and portable too!

Old NFO said...

Thanks for the update!

BobF said...

Love the setup, and thanks for the updates.

It may be my imagination, but to me SOS was always better at Midnight Chow than later in the morning at regular breakfast hours. I spent several years on swing shift and even after I got married, if we were done before the chow hall closed I went by and had Midnight Chow at the end.

Hope all goes well with the storm.

John in Philly said...

When the weather was rough, a destroyer's griddle would make some interesting modern art shapes.