Monday, March 26, 2018

Monday - Oh, My!

Beau is still missing.  Both Belle and I are in mourning. 

Someone had an anti-gun march this weekend.  Lots of coverage everywhere.  It won't change my mind.

The Cowboy Fast Draw Association has come out with an approved list of acceptable six-guns for competition.It's a multi-page document explaining which guns are acceptable, and all the why's and wherefores.  I understand what the association is trying to do, and I get it.  They're trying to keep the guns we use in CFDA competition to be faithful reproductions.  If you go to the list linked above, you can read all about it.

The problem, as it affects me, is that there are two guns I regularly carry are not on the list.  The Cimarron El Malo is not on the list because it has an octagon barrel.  I understand that the octagon barrel was not originally offered on 1880s era revolvers.  Thee other gun is one that I've been using for three years. is simply omitted.  It was made by Uberti, but marketed by Stoeger for a short time.  Mine us marked Stoeger, but in all respects it is identical to the Hombre sold at Bass Pro Shops.  It has an oxide finish and brass grip frame.

I understand what the Association is trying to do,.  They don't want to allow unlimited modifications to the guns, and want to keep the guns we use as faithful as possible to the originals in outward appearance and function (no short stroke guns). 

The problem is that I have a couple of club members who use El Mals.  I bought one last year to tinker with, and they tried it, liked it, and bought one for their own use.  Now, it's not on the approved list, specifically because it has an octagon barrel.  And, Louisiana State is two weeks away.  I've seen the El Malo's used at recent CFDA competitions, but that was before the Association published the list, specifically forbidding them.  I've got to figure this out, pronto.

But, Beau is still missing.  And that makes me sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not nearly an expert on Old West firearms, but I clearly remember some revolvers of that era having an octagonal barrel on them. Many of them preceding cartridge loaded even. You might try pointing this out to the judges.

Anonymous said...

Is Beau microchipped? Prayers for his safe return.