Thursday, November 25, 2010

Many Thanks

Thanksgiving is a big deal in our family, as it is in many families across the country. The whole family tries to come home for the holiday, and that makes for some huge meals.



Several years ago, Milady and I decided to host a family dinner the night before Thanksgiving. The clan gathers at my mother's house for the traditional meal and sometimes she feeds upwards of forty people. That's a lot of prep work and we thought that we could share the burden just a bit and feed everyone the night before, with non-traditional Thanksgiving food. The gathering has become quite a hit, and last night we fed over 30 people. Thankfully (again, I have much to be thankful for), Milady and I love to entertain and we've spent considerable energy learning how to set the house up for a crowd of folks.



The menu was Turkey and Sausage Gumbo, Crawfish Etouffee, Garlic Bread, Garden Salad, and various desserts. We had people eating in the kitchen, in the living room, the garage, and the back deck. Thankfully (I have much to be thankful for), the weather cooperated.

That pic above is one of my gorgeous, intelligent nieces (I have much to be thankful for) trying to dodge the camera.  You'll notice my tools in the back wall.  Yeah, we were eating in the garage last night.

I fed over 30 folks last night, and there isn't much left over.  (Again, thanks are in order).   In another hour or so, we're heading over to my Mother's to do it all again. 

Y'all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Paw, and that sounds like a great spread and great fun!

Termite said...

Pawpaw said..."The menu was Turkey and Sausage Gumbo..."

D,
Try smoking your turkey for a couple of hrs before boiling it down for the gumbo. I did that Monday, and it made awesome gumbo.

Pawpaw said...

Termite. That was a smoked turkey. I peeled it from the bone, then boiled the carcass for several hours. Then strained the bones from the broth and used that as a base for the gumbo. C'est tres magnifique.

Termite said...

I peeled it from the bone, then boiled the carcass for several hours. Then strained the bones from the broth and used that as a base for the gumbo. C'est tres magnifique.
Yeah, that's what I do, too. IT's great!