Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Burn Ban

It looks like our burn ban is over, at least the statewide ban.  Louisiana is a wet state and the drought conditions over the past several months motivated the state to impose a state-wide burn ban.  The recent rains put an end to that ban.  I'm heartened that as soon as the rains came, the state promptly lifted the ban.

I'm a fan of burn bans, first encountering them when I was spending time in Texas.  The counties over there would impose local burn bans, and that seemed to me to make a lot of sense.  There are times when outdoor burning is dangerous to neighboring property and at those times a ban makes sense.  Like most liberty-loving Americans, I don't want the government to tell me what I can and cannot do, but I also don't want my idiot neighbors burning my property accidentally. 

I do think that burn bans are best handled by local officials, simply because rain is a local event.  This is a case that local government can handle much more effectively than larger government.  But, in the meantime, our statewide burn ban is over.  More rain expected, along with cooler temperatures.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

They must have changed it... I remember growing up down there and it was all local restrictions...

Anonymous said...

i wonder what your neighbors think about you calling them idiots ???

Pawpaw said...

Anonymous asks:"i wonder what your neighbors think about you calling them idiots ???"

They know they're idiots. It's not news to them. I doubt they read this blog. If they can read.