Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Feed and Seed

I was at the Feed and Seed today, picking up a bag of rice bran. The hunters around here are using rice bran as a deer attractant, and I thought I'd try it. While I was there, the boys were talking about a new deer attractant from Purina. It's called Quickdraw and comes in a 20 lb block. I needed another salt block for my pipeline and decided to try one.

I've been using salt blocks, mineral blocks and molasses blocks since I was in the cattle business. If the animal needs the minerals, they'll use it. If they don't need the minerals, they'll ignore it. I put a salt block on my pipeline last year and, even accounting for weather, it's easy to see that the deer are using it. It's now about the size of a big bar of soap and you can easily see the lick marks all over it.

I'll put the Purina block nearby and see if anything is attracted to it. I went to the Purina site while I was looking for the jpg above, and entered to win ten bags of feed. I'm a sucker for that kind of promotion.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

LOL- Now the real question is... Does it work??? :-)