Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Centerfire Wednesday

I went out to the Sheriff's office range this morning and shot hunting rifles. My Savage .30-06 and my Handi .308. I've got both sighted in for the loads they're going to use this hunting season, and they're sighted 2" high at 100 yards. The Savage is hovering around an inch at 100 yards and the Handi at about 2" at 100 yards. But, they're both shooting very consistently, so I expect that my technique could still use some tweaking.

These rifles won't be put back on the bench until spring, all my shooting from now till then will be from hunting positions.

While I was there, one of the department precision shooters came to the line to burn some powder. He's shooting a Remington 700 VLS in .308. As we shot, I noticed that he was shooting Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. We both finished shooting at the same time and started picking up our gear. I noticed the brass laying at his feet and asked what he was going to do with it. "Nothing", says he "You want it?"

You betcha. There was 30 pieces of brass laying there and I'm not so rich that I can afford to leave brass laying on the ground. Knowing it's truly once-fired brass, I can probably get four or five reloads from it.

3 comments:

Rivrdog said...

Federal must have over-produced the Gold Medal Match ammo recently, as it has been running from $19-23/box. That is an OUTSTANDING price for such a consistent, high quality ammo. That brass you mooched is probably worth a box of anyone else's loaded ammo.

Mo said...

Good Score!

I've found Law Enforcement to be quite generous with their brass. We have a number of Dept. use our range for qualification and I try to volunteer to RSO when they do. Wish they shot more of the calibers I have though... ;^)

Anonymous said...

Mo:
A simple solution: Buy more calibers.