Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I agree.

After my sexist post, Menfolk, commenter j. said that:
J. Paul Getty, once the world's richest man, was quoted in a _Playboy_ magazine interview many years ago as saying, "I would trade everything I own for a happy marriage."

At the time, I didn't believe him. Now, I believe he meant every word.
I concur.

Some men are predestined to be single, some from an accident of time or place, others from a prediliction of personality. Some others decide on a monastic lifestyle for reasons that are uniquely their own.

I believe I am one of those who is destined to be married. It fits me well.

I was married the first time for 24 years, and even with all the trials and tribulations of being married too young and with all the mistakes we made along the way, I believe that my first marriage was a good one. Right up till the end I believed it could be saved. That it broke up was no one's fault, actually. I forgave her long ago, and I learned to forgive myself.

Then, after having been married almost a quarter of a century, I was single. And enjoyed my single status. Too much, perhaps, but I truly had a good time for two years. I dated, I slept when I wanted to sleep, I did things that I couldn't have done married and don't regret a bit of it. The ladies that I was with during that period were all adults, and all had their eyes open.

Then, I met Milady. She and I nested together like two spoons in a drawer. Similar interests, similar backgrounds, similar likes and dislikes, although her taste is much better than mine. I don't think I have ever felt as loved as I do when I am with her. She inspires me to be a better man than I could be by myself.

I am truly a happily married man.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You threw 2 words at me in that one post that I had never heard before, "metrosexual and ubersexual". Whattt??? I guess I just don't keep up with things like that very well! (Sounds like I'm better off).

Glad you found Milady! Being happily married beats being single all to pieces! My husband is a jewel, a rare find indeed! His past sounds very similar to yours.

Anonymous said...

I was married the first time for 19 years. I figured out on the honeymoon that I had hitched to an angery spouse. We had a lot of fights through the years, several times I packed up and moved out.
I was single exactly a month when I met Cindy. We had a long courtship, almost three months. When My ex found out I'd remarried, she blew a gasket. Three years of marriage, and two fights, both because of our kids. Doing pretty good I'd say.