Saturday, May 11, 2019

Country Come To Town

Some observations from a redneck country boy spending the weekend downtown in the 6th largest metro area in the US. (Houston, TX)

Traffic is a nightmare.  Oh, we got here okay, and we'll get home okay, but I'm not moving the car.  t's in the parking garage and we'll just make do.  Plenty of restaurants withing hoofing distance.  We'll be fine.

I may be the only guy not in costume who is wearing a cowboy hat.  I an okay with that.  Very few people wear hats these days, but I figured I'd see a few more men in Houston wearing a standard cowboy hat.  I figured wrong.

The staff here is unbelievable friendly, courteous and helpful.  Folks on the street, though, don't make eye contact.  The vast majority of them are looking at their phones, and seemingly oblivious to what is going on around them.  When I give a friendly "Good Morning" to people on the streets, I an routinely ignored.

The boys are having a ball.  It's one big geek-out.  Zach dressed like the Toy Store character Woody to attend today's festivities.


Some of the costumes are outrageous and I admit freely that I"m not sure which character they are portraying. One young lady this morning was walking the streets in what appeared to be a black teddy with bright yellow hip boots.  I had left my phone in the room, and didn't get a picture, but you can be assured I'll start carrying it when we go out to the street.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Nice costume. And yes, pics please, that way we'll BELIEVE the stories of the dress or lack thereof... LOL