Monday, April 18, 2016

35W

There's this highway in Texas, 35W.  A portion of I-35, it stretches from  Laredo to Gainesville, all the way across the state.  At the DFW metro area it splits into two parts, east and west.  Last year when we went to the stockyards, 35W was "under construction".  This year, 35W is "under construction".

I know road work takes time, but when Texas Monthly is writing unflattering articles about the project, maybe it's time to let the traffic flow.  And, judging from Fort Worth's own Star-Telegram, it looks like work on 35W there has reached the disaster stage.
I-35W madness: Road work wreaks havoc on north Fort Worth
That's just the headline.  The story is much worse.  I'm sure that somewhere in the Texas DOT offices, there is one sadistic traffic planner  laughing gleefully.

There simply must be a way to do road work without affecting the safety, sanity, and traffic flow of millions of people.  Texas DOT hasn't figured it out.  Judging from the articles I've been seeing, they're not interested in figuring it out.

4 comments:

Flugelman said...

Heh. Try living in the MetroMess for any amount of time. There are ALWAYS major construction projects underway. It never ends.

daniels said...

Yup.

I literally got stuck on the wrong side of I-35W and had to drive 12 miles on surface streets just to get to the other side of the freeway.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that all the engineers are Texas A&M grads.....
Steve

Mike said...

Paw Paw, if you are still in Ft Worth, I'd like to meet up with you if the Mrs. and you had some time. I'm the wrong direction for your return trip, but I'm in Denton, not too far away. And I know a few shortcuts...