Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Scale

I've been writing about guns for many years, and I've been blogging about guns for many years.  One of the things we talk about is weight of a particular rifle, scope, sling combination and while I had the ability to weigh a gun, I didn't have the ability to post a visual image of that weight.  Until recently.

I told my mother that I was looking for an old-style scale and she went into her closet, pulled out a scale and handed it to me.  How cool.

Now, if I want to talk about a rifle that weighs 8 lbs, 4 oz with sling, mounts and scope, I have a way to show that rifle on the scale.  Old-time gun writers used this method and I think that it's simply the best way to show the weight of a particular rifle.  Like this.

That's the rifle I call the ugly rifle.  It's a Savage 11, bone stock in .308 with a Weaver Buck Commander scope, good steel Leupold mounts, and it weighs 8 lbs, 4 oz with sling.  Ammo would add a little more weight, but we never count the weight of the cartridges anyway.  Of course, you can click the picture to make it larger.

Thanks, Momma!

2 comments:

Rivrdog said...

We called those "baby scales" back in the day...

Gerry Nygaard said...

I procured a Salter digital kitchen scale that weighs to .01 g. or 1/8 oz. via Amazon.com. for less than $20 shipping included. Handy, that.

Gerry N