Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Tuesday Morning

Is it Tuesday already? Damn, time flies when you're having fun.

I've been building a deck, a big ole deck in the backyard. This is my major project for the summer. 16' x 22' complete with railings, I've been piddling with this thing for a few days, taking small bites and quitting about noon, then making a materiels list for the next day. A picture, you say?



That's two days. One day for excavation and leveling, one day for rough framing. Today I'm going to install the railings. Tomorrow, God willing, I install the deck boards. Then, a couple of days for "fit and finish", add lights, outlets and landscaping, I'll be done.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the lumber yard.

6 comments:

Bob S. said...

Looking great there.

When you are done, you want to come down to DFW and put a deck in my backyard?

It's a long range goal, but want to turn a wasted corner into a Grill / Sitting area.

Looking forward to seeing the final pictures of the deck.

Rivrdog said...

Izzat a deck or a helipad?

HUGE deck.

Pawpaw said...

Termite - It's 16' X 22', roughly and it's strong enough to put a Loach or a Huey on.

Does anyone fly loaches any more?

The name itself was a bastardization of LOH, the Light Observation Helicopter. It was basically a Bell Jet-Ranger, a 4 seater. However, I digress.

The deck is hell-for-stong and should be completed in a couple of days.

Old NFO said...

Yep, Loaches are still around... I just rented two of em for some stuff I was doing. They're now called 500E's! Nice looking patio and yes, a Loach would fit!

Rivrdog said...

The nosy newshounds around here use 500Es, hang a huge gyro-stabilized camera pod under the chin, and buzz off everywhere to spy on us.

Did you ever wonder what they do with all their non-seen footage? Who might be storing it? What those super-cameras might be aimed at while they cruise around the local skies? Whether they pay for those choppers by taking contracts to film various things privvy to only the crew and the contractor?

There are at least a hundred of them flying daily about our larger cities. What if they were all given a coherent, intel-gathering assignment? Think we'd ever hear about it?

Pawpaw said...

Naw, guys, I wasn't thinking about the Hughes 500 series. Back in the day, when I thought about a Loach, I was considering the Bell OH-58 series. We had a bunch of them at Knox and Riley, the two posts where I did most of stateside tours in the late '70s.

My son worked on a bunch of Hughes 500s a few years ago in Kentucky. The Army was upgrading the fleet as advanced cavalry birds in what they called the Little Bird program.

As an old soldier, when I think of little helicopters, it's the OH-58 that sticks in my memory.