Thursday, June 11, 2009

Range Day

This morning I went to the range to plink with several rifles and my Kimber. After firing about 50 rounds with the Kimber I put it away and took out the Bushmaster AR15.

I've never liked the AR platform, mainly because I carried one in the military for all those years. It's a good platform, but I can't generate any enthusiasm for it. It's a tool, like a hammer or a saw. Something to use for a particular purpose. But, like all my tools, it has its place and I have to qualify with it next week, so a little practice was in order. Forty rounds later, I was done. I'm confident that I'll qualify with no problems, and it needs a good cleaning which it will get later this afternoon.

Next up was the Winchester 94 that lives under the seat of the truck. I wanted to verify that I could hit the side of a barn with it, and I can. A very small barn. This rifle is also due for a good cleaning, as it's been two or three years since I've gone through it. Lots of folks, myself included, defer giving the Winchester 94 a complete breakdown and cleaning because the rifle does not disassemble intuitively. Fortunately, Junior gives us a good tutorial and after you've taken one apart a couple of times, it's easy to remember. You do need good screwdrivers and must remember to start with the magazine tube.

On the way home I stopped at the grocery and picked up some chickens for the pit. I put them on about a half-hour ago and should be slow-cooked by suppertime. I first rub a whole chicken with a good dry seasoning rub. There are plenty out there, get one you like. Then, I put the chickens on a low pit, about 250-275 degrees for about four hours. I turn them occasionally to keep the juices flowing. When I try to turn the chicken and it comes apart on the tongs, I'm pretty sure that it's done.

I also bought some fresh green beans and some asparagus. I'll wash them, then wrap them in aluminum foil with a little margarine and some salt and pepper. About 15 minutes on the pit, they'll be ready.

2 comments:

Peripatetic Engineer said...

Paw Paw, get some prosciuto slices and wrap 5 or 6 asparagas in them before you put them on the grill. Good stuff.

Old NFO said...

Heh- I cheated with my Win 94... I took it to my gunsmith! I don't think that gun has EVER been stripped completely down since new (1962).