Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Gerrymander

 According to the latest Louisiana census data, the state is 31% black.  With six congressional districts, the recent Democrat governor wanted to add a second minority district.  The legislature was unable todo so without some severe gerrymandering, but they drew it anyway.  Louisiana's 6th district stretches from Baton Rouge in the southeastern part of the state, to Shreveport, in the northwestern part of the state.


PawPaw happens to live in the new district, so I'll be forced to vote in that district.  I just pulled my sample ballot, and learned that thankfully, there is one Republican on that ballot, Elbert Guillory of St. Landry parish.  Guillory is black, but he is a registered Republican in a field of Democrats.  My choice is simple.  I'll push the button for Guillory, and hope that he prevails and represents us well.

No comments: