Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Traveling

Belle and I are sneaking off tomorrow, heading to Holly Springs, GA for the Georgia State Championship of Cowboy Fast Draw. When traveling, Belle and I use GPS, like everyone else.  We use a combination of Google and I have a stand-alone Garmin, but each of these have problems.

Last month, I was talking to my high-tech brother-in-law, and he told me he uses Waze.  It's an app you download to your phone, and you can hook it to the car.  So, I did all that, got it working, and have ben using it around town for errands.  Waze seems like a good alternative, or a backup to Google.  It's free, user friendly, and crowd sourced.

3 comments:

BobF said...

I've been using Tom Tom for many years but my unit began having problems linking to traffic info (via my cell). I tried Waze and really like it. Around the metro area I don't use GPS for directions, rather, for traffic and re-routing info. Waze is excellent for my use. Hope it will prove to be the same for you.

Judy said...

I'm such a Luddite that I use a Rand McNally Road Atlas-Trucker's Edition for my trip planning and then double check it on Google Maps.
I like the Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer for each state I was exploring for off-the-beaten-path roads. You can find yourself bee-bopping down creek beds and going up goat trails with the Delorme.  I found it great fun; Hubby not so much.

Old NFO said...

Regardless, keep real maps in your car as a fallback...