Friday, April 05, 2024

New Moon

 Sipping coffee on the porch this morning under a clear sky, I noticed a small sliver of moon above the horizon.  We're coming up on a new moon on Monday.  Coincidentally, there will also be solar eclipse.

Astronomers have noted that a solar eclipse only occurs during a new moon.  Conversely, a lunar eclipse only happens during a full moon.  Funny how that works out.

I will not be traveling to see the eclipse.  I've seen one. I know some folks who are going to central Texas to watch the show, but for me, it was one and done.  Kind of like going to Orlando.  Been there, done that.

2 comments:

juvat said...

My little slice of heaven is right on the path of the Eclipse. Our little town is expecting something like 75000 visitors. The Sheriff Department recommended putting up No Trespassing signs on fences to keep people off. I've done that and I intend to lock the gates additionally. We've stocked up on food and gas as both are expected to be in short supply, hopefully for a very short period of time. We'll see what we will see. Or not see with regard to the sun.
juvat

Anonymous said...

I'm in south Texas (RGV) where about 90% darkness will occur. But weather forecast is not looking good for a clear view - cloudy with chance of rain. Maybe this will mean the clouds will obscure the sun glare to see with bare eyes ? Who knows ...