Thursday, January 02, 2020

Colt Bringing The Python Back?

TTAG is announcing that Colt is bringing back the Python. - Really?  Cool.

Colt was, for decades a leader in wheel gun technology.  But, as I recall, Colt decided at some point that revolvers were too expensive to build; the gun-buying public wouldn't spend the money.  And, I suppose, their 1911s and AR-15s were making the company plenty of money and those military contacts were important.

But, some time ago, they resurrected the King Cobra.  I haven't seen one yet, but I understand that they are out there.

For the past several years I have focused my attention on single-action revolvers.  The Colt is still a thing, it trades on the secondary market,and several of us watch the prices, and a fellow can still order a Colt SAA new-in-box, but he'd have to put down a healthy deposit and wait a year or more before his revolver is delivered.  They are all custom-shop jobs, and the waiting period is what it is.  Or, a fellow can pay double o triple on the secondary market.

Evidently, Colt has decided that the revolve market is still worth mining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my coworkers alerted me to that. Yes, for $1600, you can pre-order a new Colt Python. If the price is accurate, a whole lot of Python owners just watched the price on their collectible plummet approximately by half its value. $3000 purchasing a used model, adding $2000 more for pristine. Ball park figures.

More details on 2020 model here - hope this helps.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/1/1/new-for-2020-colt-python/

Sabre22 said...

I have a 1982 Six inch. I would love a 4 inch stainless steel one now it looks like I will get my wish. I did not buy my 6 inch Python as an investment I bought it to SHOOT and when i get the new 4 and 6 inch ones they will be SHOT as well.

Anonymous said...

Attaboy Sabre22, a gun bought merely as an investment is a loss. My comment above does not pertain to you in any way - good shooting and have fun !