Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Catamount

They're called various things.  Lions, panthers, cougars, catamount.  They are damned big cats for this part of the country.  The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries acknowledges that they exist, but cautions that they are rare ad protected.  Everyone talks about "black panthers", but they are not black.  The three I've seen range from tan to a chocolate brown.  A dark panther at night might look black, but I doubt it.

Whatever the color phase, their vocalizations are quite distinctive.  Below is a video that purports to capture a panther scream.  In my opinion, this one is hoarse.  The one that lived behind my house in the '90s was much more clear and disturbing.  It sounded like a woman in extreme distress and would make the hair stand on you head.


Hearing that on the way to the barn to feed horses in the pre-dawn would make you pick p your step and turn on all the lights.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, that one is hoarse... We had one behind our house in the swamp at Goodpine. I wasn't allowed outside after dark, but I still remember those screams...

Flugelman said...

I've only heard that once, fishing at night in Arkansas. Needed a change of undies, I did.