Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Contractors

I just talked to another contractor, the second one this week.   Belle and I are getting estimates on a steel building, a shop (if you will) that we've been planning for several years. 

When we bought this place in '04, we bought enough land to put in a shop building, and recently we've gotten our money together to the point where the planning can be more immediate, so I'm talking to contractors and getting estimates.

Google Maps view of the property.  New shop will be approximately where the red rectangle is.

The shop will be on a concrete slab, of all-weld metal construction, either 30X50 or40X50, depending on the estimates.  It will have 10 foot eaves, one 12' roll up door and one man door.   I also want the contractor to frame for two (2) wall mounted A/C units.

Tomorrow, on my lunch break, I'm going to the planning commission to talk with them to see exactly what information they are going to need for the permits and how much the permitting is going to cost me.

Belle and I are excited about this.

4 comments:

Termite said...

Pawpaw said: "Tomorrow, on my lunch break, I'm going to the planning commission to talk with them to see exactly what information they are going to need for the permits and how much the permitting is going to cost me."

Good luck, and try not to get too frustrated with them. Since Katrina, the permitting has gotten much tougher. Couple of buddies dealt with them lately, and expressed much frustration.

Al said...

Paw Paw,
Please do share details and observations as you work through this project. I am in much the same situation, but I am finding much difficulty getting hard numbers to build a budget with. I look foward to watching your progress.

Jonathan H said...

Good Luck with it. Watch your setbacks - it looks like one side of your shed is close to the property line and most places won't allow anything other than a fence within 10 to 15 feet of the property line.
I'm glad I live in a place where there is no planning commission and no permits to worry about.

Old NFO said...

Yep, curious to see how much of an issue the planning commission is... Good luck!