Wednesday, July 02, 2014

R.I.P Junior

Junior Doughty, the webmaster for Junior's Juke Joint, and The Frugal Outdoorsman, passed away yesterday,

Junior was a good friend of mine and we collaborated at Castbullet.com for many years.  Junior lived life on his own terms, and he enjoyed every bit of it.  He was a magnificent story-teller, a great writer and editor, and an altogether wonderful fellow.  The world will be a less interesting place with him gone.  My thoughts and prayers to his family..

Just an hour ago, I got off the phone with Junior's daughter, Kim.  Junior passed away at home, of a heart attack. Visitation will be from 5:00-10:00 pm on Firday at Hixson Brother's in Jena, LA.  Funeral Saturday at 2:00 pm.

Rest in peace, Junior.

7 comments:

Matt said...

I only met him a handful of times, but every time I did see him he had a smile on his face and was quick with a good story or joke. I liked him and I know you thought highly of him. I'm sorry for his family and I know he will be missed.

North Texan said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Dennis. My prayers are with you and his family.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

They don't make them like Junior very often.

I submit a story or two to him. He kept sending them back. "Make it longer, make it longer." Much different than writing for a corporate audience.

I really liked his fiction piece http://www.deltablues.net/amos.html

His first heart attack was in 1982. He probably lived a lot longer than he expected to.

He was fond of writing, "Some things are better than money." Living on family land. Having the freedom to sit on your back porch and shoot at targets.

He was right. There are some things that are better than money. Being able to find, and read, authors like Junior counts as one of those things.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

I'm going to miss him. He was one he'll of a guy.

Sport Pilot said...

Sad news, I'd admired his writing and was amazed by the merchandise available at his Frugal Outdoorsman web site. More than a person but Americana at its most unique.

Goatwhiskers said...

A prayer sent up for the family. He will be missed, definitely one of a kind. Learned about saddle ring slings from him, love em. GW

Oldnretd said...

Oh no, damn it came to pass. I met Junior in the mid 80s, over the phone, talking about old homeplaces in the woods. Later, we walked those places, with his running commentary based on generations of his own oral histories, about how life was then, and how it should be now. His campfire recipes on Junior's page are now family favorites, specially chicken & dumplings. So, Junior, , hot as it is, I'm doing them over an open fire in the backyard. And yes, it'll taste best with a big fat slice of juicy onion. Godspeed.