Friday, March 21, 2014

Protective Vest

God knows I hate a kevlar vest, and I know that I've got to wear one, that's not the question.  The Sheriff buys me a very nice vest every few years, and I've hated every one of them.  What I hate about the damned thing is wearing it underneath my uniform shirt.  It looks like crap, and I sweat like a hog and after a few hours my tee-shirt is sodden.  It's a miserable, uncomfortable existence.

Talking to a buddy today, he tole me that some folks are going to external plate carriers, and that there are some very nice ones being made that closely matches the uniform.  You put your badge and name plate on the carrier and wear it outside the shirt, like a vest. Sort of like this:

My buddy also told me that they have extra pockets and that a local store sells them and that several deputies have gone to the external carrier rather than the under-the-shirt carrier.  I may have to wander down the street next week and see what's available.

If any of my readers have any input, I'd be pleased to consider it.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

No help here, but it does look like a workable option...

oldlurker said...

Might ask around at your old schoolhouse. Believe I saw one in use there this week. Took me a minute to figure it out tho...