Thursday, February 20, 2014

Ruger American Rimfire

Today at lunch, I went to the local Academy Sports store to check on ammo availability.  They had Aquila .22LR, so I picked up two boxes at $4.49 per box.  I'll add that to the stock.

While I was there, I coon-fingered a Ruger American Rimfire.  I like the rifle.  It has stock inserts to raise the comb for scope use, the blueing was nice and it seemed like a very nice little bolt action rifle.  The only sticking point, for me, was the Academy price of $269.00, which is better than the MSRP of $329.00.  Academy stocks both the regular and the compact model.  A side-by-side comparison shows the compact model to be about 2" shorter in length of pull than the longer rifle.  If I had to choose, I'd probably choose the compact, simply because I like short rifles.  The American Rimfire uses the standard 10/22 rotary magazines, so those should be easy to find.

However, the Academy price on a Ruger 10/22 is $200.00, and on the Savage 64, the price is just $149.00.  I've got a Savage 64, and it's also a very nice rifle, accurate, dependable, and simple.  I like the Model 64, even if the stock is  bit flimsy.  But I really like the single-stack magazine it uses.

I didn't buy a rifle today, but it was nice to look at the new Ruger American Rimfire.  If I'm in the market for a rimfire bolt-action, I might give the rifle  second look.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Interesting, I haven't had a chance to look at one yet...

BobM said...

I haven't seen one in person yet but I'm pretty sure I want one of the compacts in 22 magnum.