Friday, February 28, 2014

Mardi Gras

Today officially starts the Mardi Gras season in central Louisiana.  There's a parade rolling down Jackson Street even as I type this, with cheerleaders and bands and floats.  The Children's Parade is tomorrow, and the main Parade is Sunday.  Because Alexandria is in Central Louisiana, we'll be back at work on Monday and Tuesday with the only nod to Fat Tuesday being the Wednesday services at local churches.

Normally, PawPaw would be in Mamou, LA on Mardi Gras, but this year I have to work.  Such is life in the fast lane.  PawPaw probably won't be at any parades this weekend.  Central Louisiana has no idea how to properly do Mardi Gras, and their celebrations are a dimly heard resonance, barely worthy of notice.

I'm going to have my Friday afternoon celebratory cocktail, then Milady and I will probably go to the auction.

1 comment:

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

I love auctions. I love the cross section of humanity that go to auctions. I love the drama of bidding.

The broken dreams make me sad but I see lessons to be learned from them. Some items have intrinsic value and retain it over time and use. The perceived value of other items is as ephemeral as a springtime wild flower.

I would like it a GREAT deal if you exercised your writing chops and painted some word pictures of auctions.