Saturday, July 23, 2011

Simmons Whitetail

The Simmons Whitetail Classic scope is a Midway USA exclusive scope. I've never seen them offered anywhere else. If you're looking for a huge bargain on a riflescope, then look no farther.

We've got two in our family. One is mounted on my son's 7mm Remington Magnum. The scope has been on that rifle for four years and it is holding up nicely. We were shooting just last week and he was able to hold his shots well under 1/2 MOA all the way out to 300 yards, which is the longest shot we were able to make. I suspect that the rifle, load and scope would hold to longer distances, but we simply haven't had the opportunity.

The other Whitetail Classic is on my .243. I don't really know why the scope is on that rifle, except that I mounted it several years ago doing load development and I never took it off.

Midway puts these things on sale from time to time, and right now, it's on sale for $110.00. That's a hell of a bargain. I've used ours and they're durable, accurate scopes that perform well beyond the normal $250.00 price point. At $110, they're a steal. The mil-dot reticle is only $15.00 more. Heck, at that price, I might buy one myself and save it for a project I've been considering.

Lots of folks turn their noses up at Simmons scopes, and some of the ones sold at Wally-world deserve that treatment. Some of the better Simmons scopes are very nice indeed, and the Whitetail Classic has the PawPaw seal of approval. Even the reviews at Midway USA gives it five stars.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Nice recommendation thanks!