Monday, July 18, 2011

1911 Scales

My son Joey has been playing with 1911 scales, learning to build them with a variety of materials. Today, he brought over some of his handiwork. You can click the picture for a bigger version.


The top pistol is his Springfield 1911A1, the GI model. It's parkerized and his new grips are made of poplar. I think that the light wood contrasts nicely with the finish of the frame. The pistol on the bottom is my Kimber Custom. He found a piece of stag for the scales on that pistol.

They look good, don't they?

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Those are PURTY :-) He's doing nice work there!

Rich Jordan said...

Very nice. I have a couple sets of custom stocks on my 1911s made by a former Marine and GEnie Outdoors RT acquaintance, smooth like yours. They made a real difference in comfort (compared to stock rubber or sharp checkered stocks) and look great too.

Custom stocks may not be a necessity but I think they're one small luxury absolutely worth getting.

Anonymous said...

Is poplar hard enough to last when made into grips?

I like the look of both grips.

Pawpaw said...

Anon asks: "Is poplar hard enough to last when made into grips?"

Beat's me. We'll find out, won't we?

Flintlock Tom said...

A couple years ago I bought some buffalo horn scales thinking to make grips for a rendezvous knife. On second thought I think I'll try my hand at custom grips for my 1911.

Thanks for the tip.
And, yeah, they do look nice.