Saturday, May 09, 2009

Mounting the scope

I finished the project on the Savage 110 today, by the simple expedient of mounting the scope. This rifle has always been a hunting rifle with no pretensions to anything but classic understated utility. It's nothing fancy.

The scope follows in the same fashion. I use a Weaver fixed 6X on this rifle. It's simple, it's classic, it's rugged. I've got fancier scopes, but this one seems to fit on this rifle.

There's lots written about mounting scopes. You can Google it and learn lots. However, there are two things that I've always wanted to do when mounting a scope. First, I want to make sure that the rings are aligned with each other. If the rings aren't aligned, then the scope won't sit in them properly. Secondly, I both rings to align with the barrel. If the scope is pointed left and the barrel is pointed right, you've got a problem.

There are tools to help with both of these problems, and I might order some of them one of these days and try them out. In the meantime, being the frugal sort that I am, I press into service whatever is at hand. One of the handiest tools I've found for mounting scopes is a piece of 1 inch dowel, conveniently found at any hardware store.

I simply install it in the rings, then install the rings.



Then, you can eye-ball it down the barrel, making sure everything aligns properly. It's a simple trick that's served me well.

Another tip on mounting a scope is to not get in a hurry. This morning, mounting the scope on the Savage, I bet I piddled with it for an hour, checking eye relief, making sure the crosshairs were level, slowly tensioning the ring screws. It's easy to bend the scope by being ham-handed with the ring screws. Tight is tight enough. I'm told that Wheeler Engineering recommends 15 inch-pounds of torque, but I don't have an inch-pound torque screwdriver. Don't over-tighten. Generally, the torque I can put on a screw while holding the screwdriver with a thumb and two fingers is sufficient. I don't put the whole fist on the screwdriver. You're not cranking on a tractor, you're setting a ring screw. Go slow, take your time, make sure everything fits, and don't damage your scope.

The Savage rebuild is complete. Now, we'll have to see how it shoots.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Ah, the key point... taking one's time! And yes, sometimes the simplest are the best. You are right, more scopes have been ruined by overtightening rings than any other single thing!