Thursday, March 28, 2024

Frivolous

 Watching a video about classic cars, I am reminded that we had to roll the windows down with a handle, and we had vent windows, which I truly miss, but my first car (a 1960 Ford Falcon) didn't have a radio.  I bought the car from my father, who acquired it from my grandfather, and the old man considered radios frivolous.

So, because I needed tunes to sustain my mellow, I went down to Radio Shack and purchased a 9v transistor radio.  something like this.

Hanging from the rear view mirror, tuned to the local station, that little radio gave me the tunes I needed to set the tone for the evening.  Plus, it served as a turn-and-bank indicator that I could use to coordinate my turns, so as not to distress the young lady sitting beside me on the bench seat.  I don't even remember if that car had seat belts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it HAD seatbelts, I wager nobody used them, LOL!
There's a song by the group "Cake" called Stick Shifts and Safety Belts that laments the modern car's 'comfort features'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zip4QyJyD5g