Friday, November 14, 2014

New Rifle

I bought a new rifle this week.  The fact that I buy a rifle occasionally is not news to my family, but this is something different for me, for two reasons.  The first is that I bought it online.

Buying a rifle online is new to me.  I've never done that before, but it's not as easy as buying a pair of socks from Amazon.  No, it takes the cooperation of a local dealer who has to agree to accept the shipment on your behalf, then when it comes in, the dealer calls you and you have to go to the store, fill our an ATF Form 4473, just like you bought it at the store.  After the instant check passes, you get your rifle.

Second, many folks don't consider this a rifle.  But, the BATFE says it is a rifle.  Even though it has nneither bolt, barrel, trigger, stock, nor even yet sights or operating controls.  Just a simple casting that's been machined to take the parts, and By God, that's the rifle.

Yeah, buddy, that's it.  That is a rifle, according to the government.  This spring I'll buy some parts and start putting it together.  I'll make it like I want it, and it will be uniquely mine.

No comments: