Monday, November 24, 2014

Axes

Everyone, at one time or another, needs a good axe, and while I'm no expert, I have a certain working knowledge of axes, sledges, and mauls.  Last month I was looking for my axe and was embarrassed to realize that it had gotten away from me.  Couldn't find it anywhere, so on my next trip to Lowe's I picked up a True Temper felling axe, a standard 3.5 lb axe with a 36"fiberglass handle.

This morning, I was browsing through the local hardware store and saw another axe that caught my eye.  Back in the day, we called it a half-axe.  Nowadays they're called a boy's axe, but it's the same tool.  Lighter at 2.25 lbs, it has a 28 inch handle, and is very handy for chores that don't require a full axe.  Of course, I walked into the store looking for a ball of string and came out with an axe.  A good hardware store is like that.  This particular example is made by Collins.

While setting up for this picture, I remembered my skinning axe that lives under the seat of the pickup truck, so I added it to the mix.  Mine is marked as Norwark, but lots of companies make them.  It's really more of a large skinning blade on a synthetic handle, that little axe isn't much good for camp chores, but it is dandy for skinning whitetail deer or larger animals.  That long, curved edge works wonders when you hold the tool just below the head and roll your wrist as you separate the skin from the animal.



I don't live in the woods any more, but it helps to have an axe around the homestead.  Like spoons, one is never enough, and to have a couple in varying sizes is handy indeed.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

That little skinning axe is neat! I need to find one of those... I've got a hatchet and a full sized axe, but that's it.

be603 said...

Those 28" axes we'd call a camp axe. I have one at my wood pile for kindling.

Gerry N. said...

I only have two axes now, the others grew feet.

My big axe is a Fiskars 2 1/2 pound, 28" cruiser's or boy's axe.

The one I use the most is a Norlund hand axe, it has a 14" handle and a 3/4 pound head. It is a Hudson's bay pattern axe which means it looks a lot like a tomahawk. the eye is short, about half the length of a Kentuky pattern ax, an American development. the larger axe you show is a kentuky pattern. my fiskars axe is a not too expensive one due to excellent engineering and has an edge that is nearly indestructable, yet easy to sharpen when needed. It does, however require a good sharp file.