Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What's Today? Wednesday?

I'm not in uniform this week, and with a holiday on Monday my internal calendar is all screwed up.  I've got a list of chores that I'm working off, and the lawnmower was on top of the list.  It's 8+ years old and right now it's fixed.  I don't know how long it is going to stay fixed, but that little chore is done.

Next comes fence maintenance.  For those of you who don't live in hurricane-prone areas, you probably would be amazed at what 100 mph winds can do to a wooden fence.  Thankfully, here in central Louisiana we don't often get 100 mph winds, but we do see 50+ mph winds when a hurricane rolls ashore, heads north and batters the hell out of us as a tropical storm.  My privacy fence has been through three of these things in the past eight years and parts of it are getting pretty wobbly. 

I started, after the lawnmower repair, punching holes in the back yard so that I can install wooden 4X4 posts to supplement the metal poles that hold the fence.  Wood flexes, while metal posts bend and crimp.  The combination of the two makes for a very sturdy fence.  I'm only going to install a half-dozen of these things, so it doesn't justify renting a power auger.  My old fashioned post hole digger will suffice.  However, punching holes in the ground in 90 degree heat takes a lot out of an old, fat man.  I'll get it done, but at my pace, with lots of iced tea breaks.  Which reminds me, I need to go buy some concrete.

1 comment:

Red Tornado said...

Wow, that sounds awfully close to real work. Good luck.