Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Poppies Blow

Every year about this time the VFW has a fund-raiser and gives little red poppies as thanks.  I always stop when I see the guys, roll my window down and drop whatever money I have in my pocket in their bucket. This morning I acquired a nice little collection that I've hung on my rearview mirror.

The poppies, of course, remind us of that great battlefield poem by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae who was killed in the second battle of Ypres during the First World War.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
 It is the Memorial Day weekend and PawPaw is going to be busy, remembering, laughing, being with family.  If you happen to see the VFW guys on the side of the road, stop and drop some money in their bucket.   Get yourself a poppy and hang it from your rearview mirror.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

I do the same, and it's a worthwhile cause!