Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Driving Traffic

Not that I much care, but I'm getting about 200 hits a day here at this blog, according to Sitemeter. The stats for this blog are found at the little icon in the right sidebar, and anyone can look at them.

Over at the other site, the sitemeter there told me that I was getting 1600 hits per day. Maybe so. But I'm convinced now that most of those hits, as opposed to the 200 or so I get here every day, were spam. I was getting a lot of spam comments, sometimes three or four hundred a day. It was a real pain to keep the spam out of the blog.

One thing I've learned, is that if you link to CNN, they'll link back. That drives traffic. This article is about something Dennis Kucinich said today, something about McCain and Bush and ... well, no one gives a shit. No one with any sense gives a shit. But, the simple link will draw traffic. Again, not that I care, but I like playing with CNN. That one link is worth a couple of hundred hits. Maybe some of them will look around and become regular readers. Although, I can't imagine that anyone who cares about Dennis Kucinich would read a blog by a gun-loving grandfather in Louisiana.

I'd rather have the gun lovers reading the blog, but those guys aren't good about linking, and they aren't good about commenting. I get 21 comments from CNN readers about Joe Biden, but I can't get two comments about a .45-70. Sheesh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not good about commenting because my father always taught me not to open my mouth unless I knew what I was talking about.

Anonymous said...

OK PawPaw, here's a 45-70 comment. I think you are really going to know it when you touch that load off in the Handi-Rifle. I ran the following data through two different recoil calculators: bullet 500 grains, black powder 70 grains, velocity 1300 fps. Both calculators gave the same results: 10 lb Sharps = 30 foot pounds, 7 lb Handi-Rifle = 43 foot pounds. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

My 22" 45-70 Handi weighs 6 lbs 12.4 ozs w/o sling.

The recoil is comparable to a 300 Weatherby. Of course, you can take off the butt plate and fill the cavity beneath it with about 2 lbs of lead shot and lessen the recoil. But shooting standing up the recoil is tolerable.