Friday, June 08, 2007

Tased

I got tased today, a new qualification. That was one of the damndest experiences of my LEO career. The gun they used on us was the Advanced Taser M26.

Imagine that all your muscles lock up. All of them. You can't move, you can't scream, and you're in extreme pain. You can feel the muscles lock and you can feel the electric shock rippling along the muscle mass that's been affected. My buddies had me under the arm and lowered me to the mat, but if I were alone I would have fallen immediately, stiff as a board, into the waiting mat.

Then suddenly it's over. Like someone flipped a switch, which I suppose is a true enough analogy, the ride is over. And I'm fine. Better than fine; I'm happy it is over. I've ridden the pulsed wave and come out the other side and I'm fine. Only I know what it's like and I never, never, never want that experience again.

This is probably the finest law enforcement tool to come along in the last fifty years. There is no telling how many lives could be saved if more of these were on the streets. While not an end-all, or a do-all, it is certainly another tool in the continuum of options we have available to us. It certainly doesn't take the place of a functioning brain, and good judgement is always the best law enforcement tool, this little device makes it totally feasable that a 100 lb female officer could subdue a 350 lb drunk all by herself. Or, that a 54 year old fat cop like myself could take down a 225 pound athlete without danger of injury to either of us.

While this isn't a Phaser, which would be the ultimate law enforcement weapon, it's certainly useful. Personally, I want one of these.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

Before you get carried away with the taser, be aware that more and more instances of the equipment failing to perform up to it's standard of 3-10 seconds of total incapacitation are being reported.

The criminal gangs on the West coast are buying tasers and practicing with them until they have mastered "fighting through".

This is the same way that OC spray went. After a few doses, you aren't going to impress anyone with it.

You go back to the day, PawPaw, so you must know that there is NO substitute for a well-delivered blow to the pain centers of the body.

Keep practicing those striking arts.