Sunday, June 10, 2007

Selling Land

I own ten acres in Natchitoches Parish that I no longer have justification for owning. I've made the move to my new digs and I offered the land to my adult children, but they've all moved on in their lives and don't want the home place. It's time to sell.

It's not much, it's ten acres with an old farmhouse. And a barn, and a pond, under fence. It is very, very rural. The house is liveable, I recently had adult children living there, but the house really needs a craftsman, someone who wants a major remodel project. The house has raised three families that I know about. I've remodeled it twice, but the last was in 1992 and everything inside is dated. It could really use someone who wanted to make sweat equity really quick.

The charm isn't the house, but the land. It rises from front to back and has meadow, pasture, and woods. When the land is clean, it is beautiful and inspirational. All a fellow needs is a 20 horse tractor, a shredder, and the usual hand tools. I could go out there right now, spend two days on the land and have it looking good. Another couple of afternoons would have it looking great.

Over the years, four people told me that if I ever decided to sell, they wanted it. I called the first fellow last week, and because of changing family circumstances he isn't able to buy it. I called the second fellow an hour ago. He remembered telling me he wanted it. His grandaddy once owned it. He's going to look at it this afternoon. I told him to let me know something in a day or two, because I had some other folks interested.

I hope it moves quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pawpaw, don't know if you know it or not but they ain't making any more land. There's something special about having a place you could pitch a tent if the SHTF.

Anonymous said...

Where in the parish? If it's near town, let me know.