Monday, June 04, 2007

Annual Requalification

Today was day one of the annual requalification that we all have to go through to maintain our POST certification.

I am now recertified on CPR and AED, and it seems there's been a change from last year. Last year we were taught that the respiration cycle for CPR was 15 compressions and two breaths. This year we're taught that the cycle is 30 compressions and 2 breaths. Evidently, compressions are more important than breaths. The instructor was extremely careful to make sure we were doing compressions correctly. We'll be breaking ribs, that's almost certain. I'm reminded that the doctors can treat a broken rib. There is no treatment for death.

Tomorrow, firearms qualifications. I'll be shooting the 1911, the Model 60, the Remington 870 and the Remington 760. I always look forward to the shooting portion of requals.

Wednesday and Thursday are scenario-based training. Friday we're getting certified on the Tazer and then doing recert on the baton, along with unarmed self-defense. Friday is fighting day. I don't like fighting day. I know how. I can do it. I don't like it. I'd rather work smart than work hard, and when you've got to wrestle someone it's hard work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious are the handguns described above dept issue or personal?