Sunday, January 15, 2006

Tragedy

The shooting of the middle school student in Florida last week is a tragedy of the deepest sort, and my hopes and prayers go to everyone affected by this chain of events.

The deepest fear of any law enforcement officer is that lethal force will have to be used. Lethal force changes the lives of everyone it touches. My initial take on this incident is that the use of force seems to be justified. I don't know if I would have done anything differently.

This is so sad, on so many levels.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It is sad. From what I read it sounds like the kid wanted to die and he planned it that way. Very traumatic for the policeman that shot him though, although I think he was justified in doing it. So sad for the families.

Kelly(Mom of 6) said...

It is very sad. I see it the same way, though...that the use of force was justified. I don't see how anybody could have done any differently.