Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Least One

I'm watching the least one tonite. That is a Southern expression for the youngest grandchild. He is three years old. He is not the least, actually, in anything except size. His mother is doing something at the church for a couple of hours and asked if I could entertain him. Sure.

He wandered through, recently, and gave Pawpaw a nasty wet kiss. Slobber and snot are the primary ingredients in a three-year-old kiss. Time to wipe his nose.

Milady and I keep a toybox in the washroom beside the dryer. He is in there now, making growly noises with plastic dinosaurs. Truly fearsome pasttime.

I wasn't aware he was coming or I would have laid in something special for him. Like maybe a bag of oreos. There's nothing quite like sending a kid home on a chocolate rush. Watching grandkids is payback on the parents, in a way. This is a spur of the moment visit and I am without chocolate in the house. There is peppermint, however, and I'm sure we can get some sugar in his bloodstream before too much longer.

I like watching them hover on the way out to the car. Payback.

2 comments:

Kelly(Mom of 6) said...

Hell yeah! The innocent look on my mother in law's face as she handed my son a cookie at 9:30 am "It's not too soon to ruin his lunch is it?"

Anonymous said...

Well, parents always have told us, "I hope when you get to be our age you have children just like you!!" And they are now doing their damnest to make that happen, sugar rushes and all!! My fiance has a 2 yr. old little girl, and it took my parents just weeks after meeting her to turn into the devilish step-grandparents.